Monday, April 30, 2007

Chp. 30 Anxiety/Uncertainty Management Theory

Chapter 30, Anxiety/Uncertainty Management Theory is an objective, sociopsychological theory that deals with managing anxiety. Throughout this chapter, the term "mindfulness" can be seen within the reading. Mindfulness, as we learned in class, has to do with how much our anxiety will affect our communication. Everyone, no matter who they are, strives for communication with the least amount of misunderstandings as possible, otherwise known as effective communication. While learning about this chapter, I began thinking about my own experience with this theory. My boyfriend Rick and me always visit his friend, Manny, in Toledo. Manny, along with some new friends of his, attend medical school in Toledo, and we have been hanging out with them when we visit. The first time I met them, I felt that our communication was anything but effective communication. I was too concerned about messing up or sounding stupid in front of them to even really listen to what they were saying. I had SO much anxiety when first meeting all of these people, because I felt inferior (Spiral of Silence tie-in!) to them since they are all soon to be doctors. As I got to know them, however, I realized they are just regular people, and our communication became a lot more effective because I was able to let go of my anxiety of feeling stupid around them. I began with conscious incompetence (uneffective communication, but aware of it) and am now at a level with them that I can display conscious competence (thinking about communication and getting better at it). It is now easier for me to tolerate ambiguity with these medical students, therefore, my anxiety has gone down.

No comments: