Monday, April 30, 2007

Chp. 31 Face-Negotiation Theory

Chapter 31, Face-Negotiation Theory, is an objective theory which links face and culture, conflict and individuals. The term "face" can be thought of as your self-image in public; the way you want others to see you. This theory really hits home with me because I used to be so worried about what other thought of me. In high school I pretty much had no self-confidence whatsoever, and I would get red over everything. And when I say everything, I mean everything. Well, one day when I was a freshman in high school, I was walking past a classroom (which, by the way, was where the love of my life, who was a senior, had a class and I just happened to walk by every day to see him) and slipped on a wet spot on the floor. Needless to say I turned into a tomato, almost in tears because I knew I had embarrassed myself in front of my crush. However, immediately, he stood up, came outside the classroom into the hall, helped me up, and said, "Hey, don't worry about it, I wiped out my freshman year, too, and it was down a flight of stairs!". In a way, I still appreciate him because he definitely saved a lot of face for me, considering he wasn't the only one who saw my horrific fall. Now, whenever I see someone fall, trip, have an incident of word vomit, or simply can't think think of the right thing to say, I always try and save face for them and make them feel a little more comfortable.

No comments: